Energy Conservation for My Business
Use the below tips to help you save money on your energy expenses.
Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Tune-up your HVAC system at the beginning of each heating or cooling system.
- Regularly change (or clean, if reusable) HVAC filters every month during peak heating and cooling seasons.
- Keep indoor/outdoor coils clean.
- Check electrical connections and pulleys, and lubricate if needed.
- Allow sunlight to come through your windows in the winter and block the sun with shades in the summer.
- Keep the air moving in the summer by using fans.
- Plug any cracks or air leaks with weather stripping and caulking.
- Minimize any duct leaks.
- Do not over-ventilate, but be sure to follow local codes.
- Turn off lights and other equipment when not in use.
- Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs).
- Reduce the number of lights in the office to prevent eye strain while working on computers.
- Install ENERGY STAR qualified exit signs.
- Make sure outdoor lighting timers are only set for the hours needed.
- Purchase ENERGY STAR qualified water heaters.
- Install an insulation blanket on water heaters seven years of age or older.
- Don’t set the water temperature any hotter than needed.
- Clean refrigeration coils regularly.
- Keep doors and seals on walk-in refrigeration units in good condition.
- Ensure units are properly defrosting.
- Keep refrigeration units properly charged with refrigerant.