Heat Pump Savings
Uncontrolled Ground Source Heat Pump Program
Along with being one of the most efficient systems available to meet homeowners' heating and cooling needs, Wright-Hennepin offers additional discounts for ground source heat pumps (GSHP) through our Energy-Saving Program. We also offer rebates on GSHPs that can save you up to $1,950!
A ground source heat pump is the highest efficiency heating and cooling system available because it uses a renewable energy source: the earth. This system is three times more efficient than the highest efficiency gas furnace and consists of a network of vertical or horizontal coils or wells buried in the ground that absorb the earth’s heat energy.
A heat pump, which is connected to the system, extracts that energy and converts it into heat, which is then transferred into the home. At the flip of a switch, the process can be reversed to cool in the summer. Ground source heat pumps are long-lasting, low-maintenance systems designed to meet 100 percent of a home’s heating and cooling needs. However, it is up to you to find and commission your own contractor for purchasing or installing a ground source heat pump. WH does not sell or install them.
- Receive an energy rate of $0.99/kWh for the electricity your GSHP uses (not subject to PCA)
- GSHP must be capable of providing the entire space heating and cooling requirements of the home
- If 50 percent of your home's heating comes from electricity, you may be exempt from sales tax (during heating season only)
- If you also have plenum or strip heating, these must be separately metered and controlled on a Dual Fuel rate strategy
Quick Cash Air Source Heat Pump Program
If you're looking to replace your air conditioner, consider an air source heat pump (ASHP), which operates similarly to an air conditioner, but can also provide heat. Wright-Hennepin also offers two ASHP rebates that can save you up to $1,000!
Air source heat pumps are another energy-efficient way to heat and cool your home. Members who utilize WH's Quick Cash Air Source Heat Pump Program receive additional savings. Air source heat pumps provide heating and cooling in one efficient and economical system that looks like a central air conditioning unit. In the summer, air source heat pumps work the same as standard central air conditioning units, cooling your home by moving heat outside. The time when heat pumps really help save on a home’s energy bill is during the cooler months because the same technology is used to bring heat into the home by reversing the heat-pump process. Heat pumps are very efficient at heating the home anytime the outdoor temperature is 20 degrees Fahrenheit or above. In addition, members who utilize WH’s Energy-Saving Program receive additional savings. However, it is up to you to find and commission your own contractor for purchasing or installing an air source heat pump. WH does not sell or install them.
- Receive a $5 credit on your June-November statements
- There is a 200 kWh minimum monthly electric usage required to qualify for the credit
- During times of peak energy demand, your ASHP will cycle "on" and "off" at approximately 15-minute intervals