Cogeneration Distributed Generation

Cogeneration allows you to both purchase and sell power to and from Wright-Hennepin (WH). If you are planning to connect to WH’s grid and both buy and sell power, please follow these steps to facilitate a smooth process for your interconnection. This process needs to be completed prior to any cogeneration resource being interconnected.

Download and read through the Interconnection Process - Process Overview which explains the different types of interconnection processes. Once you have read the Interconnection Process document choose one section:

Active June 1, 2019 - Interconnections under 20 KW:

Active June 1, 2019 - For interconnections greater than 20 KW:

If unsure, please contact our office by calling (763) 477-3000 and asking for New Services or send the below to

  1. Work with your electrician or contractor and complete the Interconnection Application once you complete and finalize your cogeneration plans.
  2. Email the Interconnection Application, Engineering Data Submittal, and other diagrams to New Services at WH: If an Application Fee is required, a new service representative will contact you with specifics and arrange for payment. A new service representative will contact you with specifics and arrange for payment.
  3. Upon receipt of the required documents, WH personnel will perform an engineering review of the proposed interconnection and determine the estimated construction charges that will apply. If changes are necessary, an email will be sent to the installer requesting additional information. If construction charges apply, an aid to construction agreement must be signed by the owner and submitted to WH New Services. Once approved, you will receive an email confirmation that the system has been approved and you may begin construction based on the final design.
  4. Notify WH when the system is ready to be interconnected by calling (763) 477-3000 and asking for New Services. A WH representative will perform a site visit to test and verify the interconnection.
  5. Complete the Cogeneration and small Power Production Facilities for installations 100 kW and below. For installations greater than 100 kW, WH will negotiate a contract consistent with WH’s Interconnection Agreement for the Interconnection of Extended Parallel Distributed Generation Systems with Wright-Hennepin Cooperative Electric Association.
  6. A grid access charge will be applied to applicable cogeneration systems. See Small Power Production Rider. 
  7. Upon completion of the interconnection, WH will provide a Certificate of Completion. 

Document links:

Annual Filings

(1) Electricity is generated through wind, solar, or another approved source of home generation; (2) An inverter transforms DC electricity to AC for home use; (3) Energy is consumed at the site; (4) A meter(s) records power used and power added to the grid; (5) Excess energy generated at home is fed into Wright-Hennepin's grid

Frequently asked questions

  1. What do I need to do to connect with WH’s power grid?
    1. Follow the steps outlined above. If you have any questions, contact us at (763) 477-3000.
  2. Can I sell energy back to the utility if I generate more power than I use?
    1. Yes, you can. This is called net metering, excess production or rollover.
  3. How does Net Metering work?
    1. When a member’s system generates more power than is being consumed at the home, it sends the power back to WH. To easily monitor both the energy delivered to the home by WH and the energy delivered to the grid by the cogeneration facility, WH currently uses two meters (one for each). At the end of the month, systems less than 40 kW will “net” the total excess generation delivered to the grid from the total energy delivered to the home. See Small Power Production Rider for rate options.
  4. Are there any costs to me, to do so?
    1. WH will charge you for the cost of the interconnection and any service upgrade costs. The Interconnection fee for systems less than 40 kW - $300 + any upgrade costs. There may also be an application fee. For systems under 20 kW - no charge; for systems 20 kW to 100 kW - $250 charge. There is also a monthly grid access charge. This charge is assessed because you are using less energy, but are still utilizing the grid. WH recovers the cost to maintain the grid (the poles, wires and trucks) that you will be using to push power to the grid. Members that do not have cogeneration pay for this in their electric rate. See Small Power Production Rider for rate options.
  5. How much will you pay me for the excess power I produce?
    1. For systems less than 40 kW, WH will compensate the member for any net excess generation produced (energy produced above their consumption) at the “average retail utility energy rate.” For systems 40 kW and over, WH does not “net” the member’s excess production against their consumption. Rather, WH will purchase the total excess energy produced each month at its wholesale power supplier’s avoided cost.
    2. For a cogeneration system to qualify for the “average retail utility energy rate” through net metering, the following conditions must be met:
      1. Must satisfy the conditions established in Code of Federal Regulations, title 18, part 292. The size determination of the qualifying facility must include all facilities that are owned by the same person(s) or its affiliates, and are located at the same site. The “same site” means qualifying facilities that are located within one mile of each other.
      2. The aggregate of qualifying systems on a site must be less than 40 kW
  6. Can I still get power from WH when I need more than I produce?
    1. Yes, you can. WH has members participating in net metering, who both buy and sell power to the grid. We do not have any members totally off the grid. In Minnesota, there are long winter days with little sunlight. On these days especially, you will likely need power from WH.
  7. Interconnection Requirements: To ensure safe installations, all grid-tied cogeneration systems must meet relevant provisions of the National Electrical Code (NEC), the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE 1547) Minnesota Statute 216B.164, Minnesota Rules Chapter 7835 and electric utility requirements. Installations must also comply with all local permitting and zoning codes, fire codes, building codes and local and federal laws, rules, and requirements. The member installing Cogeneration is responsible for ensuring that the installer follows all applicable rules and codes, including WH’s interconnection process and requirements.
  8. Consumer protection – read before you buy
    1. We care about you. Please make sure when you are considering your own power generation, that you use a reputable company to do the work. We recommend getting three bids to make sure they are competitive. And make sure that you get referrals as well to protect yourself from a poor investment.

A member who has a dispute with the Cooperative with respect to the member’s or the Cooperative’s rights or obligations regarding distributed generation (such as wind generation or solar facilities) shall first complete the Dispute Form. The Cooperative will schedule an information meeting between you and the Cooperative’s CEO within 10 business days of receipt of this form. If that meeting does not resolve the dispute, then a hearing by the Cooperative’s Board or Directors will be scheduled. This process is governed by the Cooperative’s distributed generation rules as authorized by Minnesota Statues 216B.164, Subd. 11. Dispute Form

Other Inquiries:

New Services
6800 Electric Drive, PO Box 330, Rockford, MN 55373
(763) 477-3000

Required fields are marked *

Contact Information